Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Review: Vegan Mac & Cheese at the Gasometer Hotel, Collingwood

I was very excited about going to the Gasometer Hotel, run by the ex-owners of the East Brunswick Club, with a seasonally changing menu and a great eye for managing vegan requirements.

The food for winter is Southern US style comfort food, which of course includes mac and cheese.

I'd heard some raves about the vegetarian mac and cheese so was interested to see what the vegan mac and cheese would be like.


This is the meal that I got - BBQ seitan ribs with sides of greens and vegan mac and cheese.  You can't really see it in the photo, but it was sprinkled with grated vegan cheese (Cheezly Cheddar, I think, though it was possibly the Mozzarella).  There wasn't much sauce - it mostly tasted like the macaroni had been tossed with Nuttelex and Cheezly and then served.  I was disappointed because I think it's really easy to make a good vegan mac and cheese without relying solely on vegan cheese - I also find that the vegan cheese has a chemical and sweet aftertaste that really overpowers the palate.

However, the three flavours - BBQ, lemony greens and sweet fatty mac and cheese - did go really well together when consumed as a single mouthful.

So, anyone gone to the Gasometer? What are your thoughts on their vegan mac and cheese? Leave 'em in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I do not like the vegan mac and cheese at Gaso! I was really disappointed, because I love macaroni cheese and am trying to find the "perfect" recipe (I haven't tried yours yet! But I will.).

    I am also not a fan of the ribs, but I don't really like liquid smoke/bbq flavours all that much.

    I LOVE THE BRAISED GREENS! So much :) and the chips.

    ReplyDelete